Thursday, November 3, 2011

Comfort Quilters

I have no tangible skills.

Sure, I can manipulate a spreadsheet and databases don't scare me, but if technology were to go away tomorrow, I would have no real skills (not even nunchuck skills or computer hacking skills) to share with society. I knew I would be quitting my job once the baby was born, so I wanted to find some way to be of use; to be a helper in society, rather than just a taker. So, I took a quilting class. I already loved to sew and I loved how quilts looked and felt... Boy is quilting a LOT more work than I thought it would be!

Even though I don't have an impressive resume, I have become obsessed with quilting! I pin hundreds of cool tutorials on quilting and I save pictures of pretty quilts to my computer knowing that SOMEDAY I will be able to create such beautiful blankets.

Lucky for me, the Comfort Quilters took me in with no questions asked. I was worried at first, knowing I was a rookie, but that didn't matter to them. Now, every other Friday, we get together to drink coffee, chat, and quilt, and I couldn't be more excited they've let me be a part of their ministry.

The Comfort Quilters are a group of people who create quilts for people suffering from terrible illnesses. Most of our quilts go to people who have cancer, but we give them to anyone who asks for one. We are having a large quilting bee on Friday, November 11th from 9am to 5pm at Crossroads Nazerene Church in Chandler, AZ if anyone is interested to come help out. You don't have to know how to quilt. You just have to be willing to learn!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin