Thursday, November 3, 2011

Costume Suspenders Tutorial

Want me to show you how to make suspenders that don't actually work but look really pretty?? Awesome! Let me show you.

You will need:
2 yards 1-2 inch wide elastic (I used white)
4 suspender clips
sew-on jewels (optional)



Lay the elastic over your subject's shoulders to measure where they should clasp onto the pants. Place a pin in the elastic 1" above where the clasp should join the pants. Thread suspender clip onto the elastic then fold the tip of the elastic over to reach the pin.



Sew a zig zag line in a matching thread through the two layers of elastic. I repeated the stitch three times to make sure it was strong. Sew a second suspender clip to the other side of the elastic, matching up the end of the elastic with the pin. Make sure when laid out flat that both clips are either face up or face down. Repeat these steps with a second piece of elastic, totally two elastic bands each with two suspender clips, one at each end.

Take one suspender, clasp it to the left front of the subject's pants, pull over the left shoulder, and cross to the right back clapsing it to the subject's pants. With the other suspender, clasp it to the right front of the subject's pants, pull over the right shoulder, and cross to the left back clasping it to the subject's pants. Pin the elastic together where the two elastic bands cross.



Sew around the perimeter of this area with a straight stitch, making a diamond.



Because my husband was playing an eccentric gangster, I added some sew-on jewels to his suspenders later. If you are adding some bling to your suspenders, you'll want to sew them on. Glue won't stick to elastic well and your jewels may fall off.



Ta-da! How simple were these? And they were great with his costume!





Isn't he so sweet to watch the baby while I sew?

2 comments:

  1. The suspenders are great... but your baby stole the show here. ADORABLE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I wish my hubby would dress up with me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Seriously. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin